What is the antonym of “discourteousness”?
The antonyms of discourteousness are courtesy, politeness, and civility. These antonyms convey a positive and respectful attitude towards others. They imply a willingness to show consideration, kindness, and respect.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Polite behavior that shows respect and consideration for others.
He showed courtesy by holding the door open for the elderly woman.
Behavior that shows respect and consideration for others by using courteous and respectful language.
She demonstrated politeness by saying 'please' and 'thank you'.
Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech.
The politician's civility during the debate impressed the audience.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Courtesy is a general term that describes polite behavior that shows respect and consideration for others.
- 2Politeness is a more specific term that describes behavior that shows respect and consideration for others by using courteous and respectful language.
- 3Civility is a formal term that describes polite and courteous behavior or speech.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interactions: Use courtesy, politeness, and civility to show respect and consideration for others in social interactions.
- 2Professional Settings: Incorporate these antonyms in professional settings to demonstrate professionalism and respect for colleagues and clients.
- 3Customer Service: Utilize these antonyms in customer service to provide excellent service and build positive relationships with customers.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Courtesy conveys general polite behavior, politeness denotes respectful language, and civility refers to formal politeness and courtesy. Use these words to show respect and consideration for others in social interactions, professional settings, and customer service.