What is the antonym of “disdain”?
The antonym of disdain is respect, admiration, and regard. The antonyms respect, admiration, and regard convey a positive or approving attitude towards someone or something. It implies a feeling of admiration, esteem, or honor.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
She has earned the respect of her colleagues for her hard work and dedication.
A feeling of respect and approval for someone or something.
He looked at her with admiration as she delivered her speech with confidence and poise.
A feeling of respect and affection; esteem.
She held him in high regard for his kindness and generosity.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Respect is a deep admiration for someone or something based on their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
- 2Admiration is a feeling of respect and approval for someone or something.
- 3Regard is a feeling of respect and affection; esteem.
Good things to know
- 1Express Appreciation: Use respect, admiration, and regard to show appreciation for someone's qualities or achievements.
- 2Build Relationships: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to build positive relationships.
- 3Encourage Positive Behavior: Utilize these antonyms to encourage positive behavior and reinforce good values.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Respect conveys deep admiration based on abilities or achievements, admiration denotes respect and approval, and regard refers to respect and affection. Use these words to express appreciation, build relationships, and encourage positive behavior.