What is the antonym of “disrepute”?
The antonyms of disrepute are honor and respectability. The antonyms honor and respectability convey a positive or esteemed reputation. It implies a lack of shame, disgrace, or dishonor.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
High respect; great esteem.
He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery in the battlefield.
The quality of being socially acceptable and reputable.
The politician's scandalous behavior damaged his respectability and credibility.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Honor is a term that describes high respect and esteem, often earned through noble actions or achievements.
- 2Respectability is a term that describes social acceptability and reputation, often maintained through proper conduct and behavior.
Good things to know
- 1Express Admiration: Use honor to express admiration for someone's noble actions or achievements.
- 2Describe Reputation: Use respectability to describe someone's social acceptability and reputation.
- 3Avoid Disgrace: Use these antonyms to avoid disgraceful or shameful behavior and maintain a positive reputation.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Honor conveys high respect and esteem, often earned through noble actions or achievements, while respectability describes social acceptability and reputation, often maintained through proper conduct and behavior. Use these words to express admiration, describe reputation, and avoid disgraceful or shameful behavior.