What is the antonym of “dissimilate”?
The antonyms of dissimilate are assimilate, conform, and resemble. These words convey the opposite meaning of dissimilate, which means to be different or not similar to something else.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become similar to or fully understand and integrate into a new culture or environment.
After living in the US for several years, she was able to assimilate into American culture and customs.
To comply with rules, standards, or expectations; to behave in a way that is socially acceptable.
In order to fit in with the group, he had to conform to their dress code and behavior.
To have a similar appearance or quality to someone or something else.
The two sisters resemble each other so much that people often mistake them for twins.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Assimilate refers to becoming similar to a new culture or environment, while dissimilate means to be different or not similar.
- 2Conform means to comply with rules or expectations, while dissimilate means to be different or not conforming.
- 3Resemble means to have a similar appearance or quality, while dissimilate means to be different or not similar.
Good things to know
- 1Improve Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more accurately.
- 2Enhance Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create contrast and add depth to your descriptions.
- 3Enrich Discussions: Utilize these antonyms in discussions to express different perspectives and opinions.