What is the antonym of “distinction”?
The antonyms of distinction are similarity, indistinction, and mediocrity. These words convey the opposite meaning of distinction, which is the quality of being excellent, unique, or different from others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being alike or resembling something else.
There was a striking similarity between the two paintings, making it hard to tell them apart.
The lack of clarity, distinction, or differentiation between things.
The artist's use of muted colors created an indistinction between the foreground and background.
The state or quality of being average, ordinary, or unremarkable.
The restaurant's food was of such mediocrity that we decided not to go there again.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Similarity refers to the quality of being alike or resembling something else.
- 2Indistinction refers to the lack of clarity, distinction, or differentiation between things.
- 3Mediocrity refers to the state or quality of being average, ordinary, or unremarkable.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to create contrast and add depth to your writing.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Incorporate these words into your vocabulary to express yourself more precisely.
- 3Encourage Creativity: Use these antonyms to inspire creative thinking and problem-solving.
The antonyms of distinction are similarity, indistinction, and mediocrity. Use these words to enhance your writing, improve your vocabulary, and encourage creativity by inspiring creative thinking and problem-solving.