What is the antonym of “distinguishable”?
The antonyms of distinguishable are indistinguishable and unrecognizable. These words convey the opposite meaning of being able to tell things apart or recognize them.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Impossible to tell apart or differentiate.
The twins looked so alike that they were indistinguishable from each other.
Not able to be recognized or identified.
After the fire, the house was so badly damaged that it was unrecognizable.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Indistinguishable refers to things that are impossible to tell apart or differentiate.
- 2Unrecognizable refers to things that cannot be recognized or identified due to damage or changes.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Appearances: Use indistinguishable to describe people or things that look very similar.
- 2Describing Changes: Use unrecognizable to describe things that have changed so much that they cannot be identified.
- 3Comparing and Contrasting: Use these antonyms to compare and contrast two things that are either distinguishable or indistinguishable.
The antonyms indistinguishable and unrecognizable convey the opposite meaning of being able to tell things apart or recognize them. Use indistinguishable to describe things that are impossible to differentiate and unrecognizable to describe things that cannot be identified due to damage or changes. These antonyms can be used to describe appearances, changes, and for comparing and contrasting.