What is the antonym of “distracted”?
The antonyms of distracted are alert, attentive, and concentrated. The antonyms alert, attentive, and concentrated convey a focused and attentive state of mind. It implies being aware, vigilant, and fully engaged in the present moment.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Fully aware and attentive; quick to notice and respond to danger or opportunity.
The security guard was alert and noticed the suspicious behavior of the intruder.
Paying close attention to details; listening carefully and showing interest.
The teacher was attentive to her students' needs and provided individualized support.
Focusing one's attention and effort on a specific task or goal.
The athlete was concentrated on breaking the world record and trained tirelessly for months.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Alert emphasizes being aware and responsive to potential danger or opportunity.
- 2Attentive emphasizes paying close attention and showing interest in details.
- 3Concentrated emphasizes focusing one's attention and effort on a specific task or goal.
Good things to know
- 1Improve Productivity: Use alert, attentive, and concentrated to describe a focused and productive state of mind.
- 2Enhance Safety: Use alert to describe a vigilant and responsive attitude towards potential danger.
- 3Express Interest: Use attentive to show interest and engagement in conversations and activities.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Alert emphasizes being aware and responsive, attentive emphasizes paying close attention and showing interest, and concentrated emphasizes focusing one's attention and effort. Use these words to improve productivity, enhance safety, and express interest in conversations and activities.