What is the antonym of “dread”?
The antonyms of dread are welcome and embrace. The antonyms welcome and embrace convey a positive emotional state. It implies a feeling of happiness, satisfaction, or pleasure.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To greet someone with pleasure or cordiality.
The hostess welcomed the guests with a warm smile and a hug.
To hold someone tightly in one's arms, often as a sign of affection or love.
The couple embraced each other after being apart for months.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Welcome is a verb that describes a friendly greeting or reception.
- 2Embrace is a verb that describes a physical act of holding someone tightly in one's arms.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interaction: Use welcome to greet people with warmth and friendliness.
- 2Relationships: Use embrace to show affection and love towards someone.
- 3Positive Thinking: Incorporate these antonyms in daily conversations to cultivate a positive mindset.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Welcome conveys a friendly greeting, while embrace denotes a physical act of holding someone tightly. Use these words to enhance social interactions, relationships, and cultivate a positive mindset.