What is the antonym of “drive”?
The antonyms of drive are halt, stop, and park. These words convey the opposite meaning of drive and refer to stopping or ceasing movement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To bring or come to a stop; to pause or discontinue.
The train conductor announced that the train would halt at the next station.
To cease moving or progressing; to come to an end.
The traffic light turned red, and all the cars had to stop.
To bring a vehicle to a halt and leave it temporarily in a designated area.
He decided to park his car in the garage and take the bus to work.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Halt implies a temporary stop or pause in movement.
- 2Stop refers to a complete cessation of movement.
- 3Park is a complementary antonym that refers to bringing a vehicle to a halt and leaving it in a designated area.
Good things to know
- 1Driving Instructions: Use halt and stop to give instructions on when to stop driving.
- 2Parking Instructions: Use park to instruct where to leave a vehicle.
- 3Traffic Reports: Use halt and stop to report traffic congestion or accidents.
The antonyms of drive are halt, stop, and park. Halt implies a temporary stop, stop refers to a complete cessation of movement, and park is a complementary antonym that refers to leaving a vehicle in a designated area. Use these words for driving and parking instructions, as well as traffic reports.