What is the antonym of “drown”?
The antonyms of drown are rescue and save. The antonyms rescue and save convey the opposite meaning of drowning, which is to save someone from danger or harm.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To save someone from a dangerous or harmful situation.
The lifeguard quickly swam out to rescue the struggling swimmer.
To prevent harm or danger from happening to someone or something.
The doctor was able to save the patient's life with emergency surgery.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Rescue implies an immediate action to save someone from danger or harm.
- 2Save implies preventing harm or danger from happening in the first place.
Good things to know
- 1Emergency Situations: Use rescue when someone needs immediate help to avoid harm or danger.
- 2Preventive Measures: Use save when taking measures to prevent harm or danger from happening.
- 3Water Safety: Use rescue and save when discussing water safety and the importance of being aware of potential dangers.
The antonyms of drown are rescue and save. Rescue implies immediate action to save someone from danger or harm, while save implies preventing harm or danger from happening in the first place. Use these words in emergency situations, preventive measures, and discussions about water safety.