What is the antonym of “drub”?
The antonyms of drub are lose and surrender. The antonyms lose and surrender convey a negative outcome or defeat in a competition or conflict. It implies a lack of success, victory, or achievement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To be deprived of something or fail to win a competition or conflict.
The team had to lose the match because they didn't play well.
To give up or yield to someone or something; to admit defeat.
The army had to surrender after running out of ammunition.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lose is a general term that describes failing to win a competition or conflict.
- 2Surrender is a more specific term that describes giving up or yielding to someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Sports: Use lose to describe the outcome of a game or match.
- 2Warfare: Use surrender to describe the act of giving up in a battle or war.
- 3Everyday Life: Use these antonyms to describe the outcome of any situation where there is a winner and a loser.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Lose conveys a general sense of failure, while surrender refers to giving up or yielding to someone or something. Use these words to describe the outcome of competitions, conflicts, or any situation where there is a winner and a loser.