What is the antonym of “drubbed”?
The antonyms of drubbed are lose, surrender, and yield. These words indicate a defeat or failure in a competition, battle, or conflict.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To be defeated or fail to win in a competition, game, or conflict.
The team had to lose the match as they failed to score enough points.
To give up or yield to someone or something, often in a battle or conflict.
The army had to surrender after running out of ammunition.
To give way or concede to someone or something, often in a competition or argument.
He had to yield to his opponent's superior skills in the debate.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lose refers to failing to win in a competition or conflict.
- 2Surrender implies giving up or yielding to an opponent in a battle or conflict.
- 3Yield suggests conceding or giving way to someone or something in a competition or argument.
Good things to know
- 1Sports: Use lose to describe a team or player's failure to win a game or match.
- 2Military: Use surrender to describe a group's decision to give up in a battle or conflict.
- 3Debates: Use yield to describe a participant's decision to concede to their opponent's argument.