What is the antonym of “dusky”?
The antonyms of dusky are bright and luminous. The antonyms bright and luminous convey a positive or radiant quality. They imply a sense of lightness, clarity, and brilliance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Giving out or reflecting much light; shining.
The sun was so bright that she had to wear sunglasses.
Emitting or reflecting light; shining; bright.
The moon was so luminous that it lit up the entire room.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Bright is a general term that describes a high degree of lightness or radiance.
- 2Luminous is a more specific term that describes a quality of emitting or reflecting light.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Light: Use bright and luminous to describe sources of light, such as the sun, moon, stars, or light bulbs.
- 2Depicting Colors: Use bright and luminous to describe vivid and intense colors, such as red, yellow, orange, or green.
- 3Creating Imagery: Use bright and luminous to create visual imagery in writing, poetry, or art.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Bright conveys a general sense of lightness and radiance, while luminous refers to a specific quality of emitting or reflecting light. Use these words to describe sources of light, depict vivid colors, and create visual imagery in writing, poetry, or art.