What is the antonym of “earthly”?
The antonym of earthly is heavenly, spiritual, and unearthly. These antonyms describe things that are not of this world or beyond the physical realm.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to or resembling heaven; divine or celestial.
The view from the mountaintop was heavenly, with the clouds below and the sun setting in the distance.
Relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
Meditation and prayer can have a profound spiritual effect on one's well-being.
Not of this world; supernatural or eerie.
The sound of the howling wind at night was unearthly and gave me chills.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Heavenly refers to things that are divine or celestial, while spiritual relates to the human spirit or soul.
- 2Unearthly describes things that are supernatural or eerie, while heavenly and spiritual do not necessarily have negative connotations.
Good things to know
- 1Religious contexts: Use heavenly and spiritual to describe religious experiences or beliefs.
- 2Fantasy or horror contexts: Use unearthly to describe supernatural or eerie phenomena.
- 3Poetry or literature: Use these antonyms to create vivid imagery and convey abstract concepts.
The antonyms of earthly are heavenly, spiritual, and unearthly. These words describe things that are beyond the physical realm, with heavenly referring to divine or celestial things, spiritual relating to the human spirit or soul, and unearthly describing supernatural or eerie phenomena. These antonyms can be used in religious contexts, fantasy or horror contexts, and in poetry or literature to create vivid imagery and convey abstract concepts.