What is the antonym of “easternly”?
The antonyms of easternly are westernly and westerly. These words describe opposite directions, with easternly referring to the direction towards the east and westernly or westerly referring to the direction towards the west.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Towards the west; in the direction of the west.
The sun sets westernly over the ocean.
Located in or facing the west; moving or directed towards the west.
The wind was blowing from the westerly direction.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Westernly is an adverb that describes the direction towards the west, while westerly is an adjective that describes something located in or facing the west.
- 2Westernly is a complementary antonym of easternly, meaning they describe opposite directions, while westerly is a gradable antonym that describes a location or direction.
Good things to know
- 1Navigation: Use these antonyms to give or follow directions.
- 2Geography: Incorporate these antonyms to describe locations or regions.
- 3Meteorology: Utilize these antonyms to describe weather patterns and wind directions.
The antonyms westernly and westerly describe the direction towards the west, while easternly refers to the direction towards the east. Westernly is an adverb that describes direction, while westerly is an adjective that describes location. Use these antonyms for navigation, geography, and meteorology purposes.