What is the antonym of “endogamous”?
The antonym of endogamous is exogamous and outbred. The antonyms exogamous and outbred convey a different meaning from endogamous.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to or characterized by the custom of marrying outside the limits of a community, clan, or tribe.
In some cultures, exogamous marriages are preferred to strengthen political alliances.
Bred from parents not closely related genetically.
The puppies were healthy because they were outbred and had a diverse genetic makeup.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Exogamous refers to the custom of marrying outside a community, while endogamous refers to marrying within the same community.
- 2Outbred refers to animals bred from parents not closely related genetically, while endogamous and exogamous refer to human marriage customs.
Good things to know
- 1Anthropology: Use endogamous and exogamous to describe marriage customs in different cultures.
- 2Genetics: Use outbred to describe animals with diverse genetic makeup.
- 3Sociology: Use endogamous and exogamous to describe social structures and relationships.
The antonyms have distinct meanings: Exogamous refers to marrying outside a community, while endogamous refers to marrying within the same community. Outbred refers to animals bred from parents not closely related genetically. These words can be used in anthropology, genetics, and sociology to describe different customs, structures, and relationships.