What is the antonym of “engrandize”?
The antonyms of engrandize are diminish, reduce, and understate. These words convey the opposite meaning of engrandize, which is to make something appear greater or more impressive than it actually is.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something seem less important, valuable, or impressive.
The bad weather diminished the turnout for the outdoor concert.
To make something smaller in size, amount, or degree.
The company had to reduce its workforce due to financial difficulties.
To describe something as less important, severe, or impressive than it really is.
She understated the difficulty of the task to avoid scaring her team.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Diminish implies making something seem less important or impressive.
- 2Reduce implies making something smaller in size, amount, or degree.
- 3Understate implies describing something as less important or impressive than it really is.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to add variety and precision to your writing.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Learn and practice using these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.
- 3Avoid Miscommunication: Use these antonyms to avoid misunderstandings and misinterpretations.