What is the antonym of “epitomise”?
The antonyms of epitomise are contradict and oppose. The antonyms contradict and oppose convey a meaning opposite to that of epitomise. They imply disagreement or opposition to an idea, concept, or belief.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To assert the opposite of what someone else has said or written.
The witness's testimony contradicts the defendant's alibi.
To be against or resist something, such as an idea, policy, or action.
The opposition party opposes the government's new tax proposal.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Contradict implies a direct opposition to a statement or claim.
- 2Oppose implies a resistance or objection to an idea, policy, or action.
Good things to know
- 1Debate: Use contradict and oppose to express disagreement in a debate or discussion.
- 2Writing: Incorporate antonyms in writing to present contrasting ideas or arguments.
- 3Critical Thinking: Analyze and evaluate opposing viewpoints using these antonyms.
The antonyms of epitomise are contradict and oppose. Contradict implies a direct opposition to a statement or claim, while oppose implies resistance or objection to an idea, policy, or action. Use these words to express disagreement, present contrasting ideas, and analyze opposing viewpoints.