What is the antonym of “esoterica”?
The antonyms of esoterica are commonplace and familiarity. The antonyms commonplace and familiarity convey a sense of familiarity, ordinariness, and lack of complexity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
An idea, expression, or practice that is not original or interesting; ordinary or unremarkable.
The plot of the movie was predictable and commonplace, lacking any originality.
The state of being well-known or easily recognized; close acquaintance or intimacy with something.
After living in the city for a few years, she gained a sense of familiarity with its streets and landmarks.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Commonplace refers to something that is ordinary or unremarkable.
- 2Familiarity refers to the state of being well-known or easily recognized.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use commonplace and familiarity to describe everyday experiences and objects.
- 2Express Opinion: Incorporate antonyms in discussions to express opinions on the level of complexity or uniqueness of a topic.
- 3Improve Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create contrast and emphasize the distinctiveness of a subject.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Commonplace conveys ordinariness, while familiarity denotes a sense of recognition. Use these words to enhance vocabulary, express opinions, and improve writing by creating contrast and emphasizing the distinctiveness of a subject.