What is the antonym of “essential”?
The antonyms of essential are inessential and unnecessary. The antonyms inessential and unnecessary convey the opposite meaning of something that is not necessary or required. It implies that something can be done without it.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not necessary or essential; not needed.
The company decided to cut down on inessential expenses to save money.
Not needed or required; something that can be done without.
He realized that buying a new car was unnecessary since he could repair his old one.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inessential refers to something that is not necessary or essential, but it may still have some value or importance.
- 2Unnecessary refers to something that is not needed or required and can be done without.
Good things to know
- 1Writing: Use these antonyms to describe the importance of certain elements in a text.
- 2Everyday Conversation: Use these antonyms to express the necessity of something.
- 3Decision Making: Incorporate these antonyms to make informed decisions about what is essential and what is not.
The antonyms inessential and unnecessary convey the opposite meaning of something that is not necessary or required. However, inessential may still have some value or importance, while unnecessary can be done without. Use these antonyms to enhance writing, everyday conversation, and decision making.