What is the antonym of “expanded”?
The antonym of expanded are reduced, contracted, and condensed. These words describe the opposite of expansion, which means to make something smaller or more compact.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Made smaller or less in size, amount, or degree.
The company reduced its workforce due to financial difficulties.
Made smaller or shorter in length, duration, or scope.
The project's timeline was contracted to meet the deadline.
Reduced in volume, size, or content by removing unnecessary parts.
The professor provided a condensed version of the lecture notes for the students.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Reduced implies a decrease in size, amount, or degree.
- 2Contracted implies a decrease in length, duration, or scope.
- 3Condensed implies a decrease in volume, size, or content by removing unnecessary parts.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use reduced and contracted to describe cost-cutting measures or downsizing.
- 2Academics: Use condensed to describe summaries or abridged versions of texts or lectures.
- 3Science: Use contracted to describe the process of shrinking or compressing matter.