What is the antonym of “expansion”?
The antonyms of expansion are contraction and reduction. The antonyms contraction and reduction convey a decrease or shrinkage in size, amount, or extent. They are opposite in meaning to expansion, which refers to an increase or enlargement in size, amount, or extent.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The process of becoming smaller or shorter.
The contraction of the balloon made a loud popping sound.
The act of making something smaller in size, amount, or number.
The reduction in staff numbers led to increased workloads for those remaining.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Contraction refers to the process of becoming smaller or shorter, while reduction refers to the act of making something smaller in size, amount, or number.
- 2Contraction is often used to describe physical changes, while reduction can be used in both physical and abstract contexts.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use expansion and contraction to describe physical changes in matter, such as gases and liquids.
- 2Business: Use expansion and reduction to describe changes in a company's size, market share, or workforce.
- 3Academia: Use expansion and reduction to describe changes in research topics, theories, or methodologies.