What is the antonym of “expatiating”?
The antonyms of expatiating are abbreviate, condense, and summarize. These words convey the opposite meaning of expatiating, which means to speak or write at length in detail about a topic.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make shorter; to reduce the length of something.
Can you abbreviate this report to one page? I don't have time to read the whole thing.
To make more compact or dense; to reduce the volume or size of something.
The professor asked us to condense our essays to 500 words or less.
To give a brief statement of the main points of something; to provide a summary.
Can you summarize the article for me? I don't have time to read the whole thing.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Abbreviate means to make something shorter, while expatiate means to speak or write at length.
- 2Condense means to make something more compact or dense, while expatiate means to elaborate on a topic.
- 3Summarize means to give a brief statement of the main points, while expatiate means to provide a detailed explanation.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use abbreviate, condense, and summarize to make your writing more concise and clear.
- 2Business Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in emails and reports to convey information effectively.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Utilize these words to express yourself more precisely and avoid rambling.
The antonyms of expatiating are abbreviate, condense, and summarize. Use these words to make your writing more concise and clear, convey information effectively in business communication, and express yourself more precisely in everyday conversation.