What is the antonym of “extension”?
The antonyms of extension are shortening and reduction. The antonyms shortening and reduction convey a decrease or reduction in size, length, or duration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of making something shorter; a reduction in length.
The shortening of the meeting time allowed us to finish earlier than expected.
The act of making something smaller or less in amount, degree, or size.
The reduction in prices attracted more customers to the store.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Shortening refers specifically to reducing the length of something.
- 2Reduction can refer to decreasing the size, amount, or degree of something.
Good things to know
- 1In Cooking: Use shortening to describe the process of making something shorter, such as shortening the cooking time.
- 2In Business: Use reduction to describe a decrease in prices, costs, or workforce.
- 3In Science: Use shortening and reduction to describe changes in length, size, or duration in experiments or studies.