What is the antonym of “extenuate”?
The antonyms of extenuate are aggravate, intensify, and exacerbate. These words convey the opposite meaning of extenuate, which is to make something less serious or more forgivable.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make a problem or situation worse or more serious.
His constant complaining only served to aggravate the situation.
To increase in degree or strength; to make something more intense.
The storm began to intensify as the winds picked up.
To make a problem or situation worse, especially by making someone angry or annoyed.
His constant criticism only served to exacerbate the tension between them.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Aggravate implies making a situation worse or more serious.
- 2Intensify implies increasing the degree or strength of something.
- 3Exacerbate implies making a problem or situation worse, especially by making someone angry or annoyed.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to express the opposite meaning of extenuate.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in writing to add variety and precision.
- 3Expand Vocabulary: Learn and practice using these antonyms to improve your English vocabulary.