Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The process of starting a fire or engine by lighting a spark or flame.
The car's ignition failed to start, so we had to call a mechanic.
The act of setting something on fire or illuminating a space with light.
The lighting of the candles created a warm and cozy atmosphere in the room.
Small sticks or twigs used to start a fire.
He gathered some dry kindling to start the campfire.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ignition refers to the process of starting a fire or engine by lighting a spark or flame.
- 2Lighting is the act of setting something on fire or illuminating a space with light.
- 3Kindling is small sticks or twigs used to start a fire.
Good things to know
- 1Fire Safety: Use these antonyms to teach fire safety and prevention.
- 2Cooking: Use ignition and kindling when cooking over an open flame.
- 3Home Decor: Use lighting to describe the illumination of a space or the placement of lights for decoration.
The antonyms of extinguishing are ignition, lighting, and kindling. Use these words to teach fire safety, describe cooking over an open flame, or illuminate a space for decoration.