What is the antonym of “extraterrestrial”?
The antonyms of extraterrestrial are terrestrial and earthly. The antonyms terrestrial and earthly refer to things that are related to or characteristic of the planet Earth, while extraterrestrial refers to things that are from outside the Earth.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to or characteristic of the planet Earth or its inhabitants.
The study of terrestrial ecosystems is essential for understanding the impact of human activities on the environment.
Relating to or characteristic of the Earth or its inhabitants; mundane or worldly.
He was more interested in pursuing his earthly desires than in spiritual matters.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Terrestrial refers specifically to things related to the planet Earth, while earthly can also refer to mundane or worldly matters.
- 2Terrestrial is a relational antonym, while earthly is a gradable antonym.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use terrestrial to describe things related to the planet Earth, such as terrestrial ecosystems or terrestrial planets.
- 2Philosophy: Use earthly to describe mundane or worldly matters, such as earthly desires or earthly possessions.
- 3Fiction: Incorporate these antonyms in science fiction stories to create contrast between Earth and other planets or beings.
The antonyms of extraterrestrial are terrestrial and earthly. Terrestrial refers specifically to things related to the planet Earth, while earthly can also refer to mundane or worldly matters. Use these words in science, philosophy, and fiction to create contrast and convey meaning.