What is the antonym of “fidelity”?
The antonyms of fidelity are infidelity and disloyalty. These words describe the opposite of loyalty, faithfulness, and commitment.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of being unfaithful or disloyal to a partner or spouse.
She discovered her husband's infidelity when she found text messages from another woman on his phone.
The act of betraying trust or breaking allegiance; lack of loyalty or faithfulness.
He was accused of disloyalty when he leaked confidential information to a rival company.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Infidelity specifically refers to being unfaithful in a romantic relationship.
- 2Disloyalty is a broader term that can refer to betrayal in any kind of relationship, such as friendship or business.
Good things to know
- 1Relationships: Use these antonyms to discuss issues of trust and commitment in romantic relationships.
- 2Business: Use disloyalty to describe employees who leak confidential information or betray the company's interests.
- 3Politics: Use disloyalty to describe politicians who switch parties or vote against their party's interests.
The antonyms of fidelity are infidelity and disloyalty. While infidelity refers specifically to being unfaithful in a romantic relationship, disloyalty is a broader term that can refer to betrayal in any kind of relationship. These words can be used to discuss issues of trust and commitment in relationships, business, and politics.