What is the antonym of “floppiness”?
The antonyms of floppiness are stiffness and rigidity. These antonyms describe the opposite physical properties of flexibility and resistance to movement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being rigid or inflexible; lacking suppleness or flexibility.
The new shoes were so tight that they caused stiffness in her feet.
The quality of being stiff, unyielding, or resistant to bending or change.
The old metal gate had lost its flexibility and developed rigidity, making it hard to open and close.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Stiffness refers to a lack of suppleness or flexibility, while floppiness describes excessive flexibility.
- 2Rigidity implies a complete lack of flexibility or resistance to bending, while floppiness implies an excess of flexibility.
Good things to know
- 1Physical Properties: Use these antonyms to describe the physical properties of objects or materials.
- 2Body Movements: Use these antonyms to describe the range of motion or flexibility of body movements.
- 3Metaphorical Meanings: Incorporate these antonyms in metaphors to convey different meanings and emotions.