What is the antonym of “foetid”?
The antonyms of foetid are fragrant and sweet-smelling. The antonyms fragrant and sweet-smelling convey a positive or pleasant smell. It implies a pleasing aroma, scent, or fragrance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having a pleasant or sweet smell.
The flowers in the garden were fragrant and filled the air with their sweet aroma.
Having a pleasant or agreeable odor.
The bakery was filled with the sweet-smelling aroma of freshly baked bread.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Fragrant is a general term that describes a pleasant or sweet smell.
- 2Sweet-smelling is a more specific term that describes a pleasant or agreeable odor.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Description: Use fragrant and sweet-smelling to describe pleasant smells effectively.
- 2Enrich Vocabulary: Incorporate antonyms in writing to expand vocabulary.
- 3Create Imagery: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create vivid imagery and sensory details.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Fragrant conveys a general pleasant smell, while sweet-smelling denotes a pleasant or agreeable odor. Use these words to enhance description, enrich vocabulary, and create imagery in narratives by adding vivid sensory details.