What is the antonym of “following”?
The antonyms of following are preceding and previous. These words indicate the opposite order of events or things.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Coming before in time, order, or position.
The preceding chapter discussed the history of the city.
Occurring before in time or order; earlier.
She had a meeting with her boss previous to the one scheduled for today.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Preceding refers to something that comes immediately before another event or thing.
- 2Previous refers to something that happened or existed before the current one.
Good things to know
- 1Chronological Order: Use preceding and following to describe the order of events or things.
- 2Comparison: Use previous and following to compare two or more events or things.
- 3Instructions: Use preceding and following to give step-by-step instructions.