What is the antonym of “foray”?
The antonyms of foray are retreat and withdrawal. The antonyms retreat and withdrawal convey the opposite meaning of foray, which is to advance or attack.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of moving back or withdrawing from a position or situation.
The army was forced to retreat after suffering heavy casualties.
The act of taking something away or removing oneself from a situation.
After losing his job, he went into a state of withdrawal and stopped communicating with his friends.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Retreat implies a tactical move to avoid danger or defeat.
- 2Withdrawal implies a deliberate action to remove oneself from a situation.
Good things to know
- 1Military Context: Use retreat to describe a military maneuver to avoid danger or defeat.
- 2Addiction Recovery: Use withdrawal to describe the process of removing oneself from addictive substances or behaviors.
- 3Business Context: Use retreat and withdrawal to describe business strategies such as market retreat or product withdrawal.
The antonyms of foray are retreat and withdrawal. Retreat implies a tactical move to avoid danger or defeat, while withdrawal implies a deliberate action to remove oneself from a situation. These words can be used in military contexts, addiction recovery, and business strategies.