What is the antonym of “forseen”?
The antonyms of forseen are unforeseen and unexpected. These words describe events or situations that were not predicted or anticipated.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not anticipated or predicted; unexpected.
The storm caused unforeseen damage to the crops, leading to a shortage of food.
Not expected or anticipated; surprising.
The sudden arrival of her old friend was an unexpected surprise.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unforeseen refers to something that was not predicted or anticipated, while unexpected refers to something that was not expected.
- 2Unforeseen is a stronger term than unexpected, implying that the event was not only surprising but also could not have been predicted.
- 3Unexpected is a more general term that can be used in a wider range of contexts than unforeseen.
Good things to know
- 1Planning: Use unforeseen to describe events or situations that were not predicted or planned for.
- 2Surprise: Use unexpected to describe events or situations that were surprising or caught you off guard.
- 3Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to express surprise or to describe unexpected events.
The antonyms unforeseen and unexpected describe events or situations that were not predicted or anticipated. Unforeseen is a stronger term than unexpected, implying that the event was not only surprising but also could not have been predicted. Use these words to plan for unexpected events, express surprise, or describe unexpected situations.