Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not strengthened or protected by defensive measures.
The city walls were unfortified and easily breached by the enemy forces.
Lacking physical or mental strength; feeble.
His immune system was weak and susceptible to infections.
Exposed to the possibility of harm or damage.
The coastal town was vulnerable to hurricanes and flooding.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unfortified refers to a lack of defensive measures, while fortified implies the presence of such measures.
- 2Weak denotes a lack of strength, while fortified implies strength and reinforcement.
- 3Vulnerable describes exposure to harm or damage, while fortified implies protection against it.
Good things to know
- 1Discuss Security: Use these antonyms to talk about the strength and protection of buildings, cities, or countries.
- 2Describe Health: Use weak to describe physical or mental conditions that lack strength or resilience.
- 3Analyze Risk: Use vulnerable to describe situations or systems that are exposed to potential harm or damage.
The antonyms of fortified convey a lack of strength, protection, or reinforcement. Use unfortified to describe a lack of defensive measures, weak to describe a lack of strength, and vulnerable to describe exposure to harm or damage. These words can be used to discuss security, describe health, and analyze risk.