What is the antonym of “fraction”?
The antonyms of fraction are whole and entirety. The antonyms whole and entirety convey a complete or undivided state, whereas fraction implies a part or portion of a whole.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Complete; not divided or broken; entire.
She ate the whole pizza by herself.
The whole or total amount of something; completeness.
He sold his car in its entirety rather than just the parts.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Whole refers to something that is complete and undivided, while fraction refers to a part or portion of a whole.
- 2Entirety refers to the whole or total amount of something, while fraction implies a part or piece of something larger.
Good things to know
- 1Mathematics: Use fraction when referring to a part of a whole number.
- 2Cooking: Use whole to describe an uncut or undivided ingredient, such as a whole chicken or whole egg.
- 3Business: Use entirety when referring to the complete or total amount of something, such as selling a product in its entirety.
The antonyms of fraction are whole and entirety. Use fraction when referring to a part or portion of a whole, and use whole or entirety when referring to something that is complete and undivided or the whole or total amount of something.