What is the antonym of “game”?
The antonyms of game are work and labor. The antonyms work and labor convey a sense of effort, exertion, and productivity. They imply a task that requires physical or mental effort to achieve a specific goal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
He spends most of his day at work in the office.
Physical or mental exertion, especially when difficult or exhausting; work.
The construction workers put in a lot of labor to finish the building on time.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Work is a general term that describes any activity involving mental or physical effort done to achieve a purpose or result.
- 2Labor is a more specific term that describes physical or mental exertion, especially when difficult or exhausting.
Good things to know
- 1Use work and labor to describe tasks that require effort and productivity.
- 2Use game to describe activities that are fun, entertaining, and enjoyable.
- 3Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to differentiate between leisure and work-related activities.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Work conveys any activity involving effort and productivity, while labor implies physical or mental exertion. Use these words to differentiate between leisure and work-related activities and to describe tasks that require effort and productivity.