What is the antonym of “give”?
The antonyms of give are take, withhold, and refuse. These words convey the opposite meaning of giving, which is to keep or deny something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To get hold of something with one's hands; to accept or receive something that is offered.
He decided to take the job offer and move to a new city.
To refuse to give or grant something; to keep back or retain something.
The company decided to withhold bonuses due to financial difficulties.
To decline to accept or give something; to say no to an offer or request.
She had to refuse the invitation because she was already busy that day.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Take implies accepting or receiving something that is offered or available.
- 2Withhold means refusing to give or grant something that is expected or deserved.
- 3Refuse means declining to accept or give something that is offered or requested.
Good things to know
- 1Negotiations: Use these antonyms to express opposing viewpoints in negotiations.
- 2Everyday Conversations: Incorporate these antonyms in everyday conversations to express different perspectives.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create contrast and emphasize differences.
The antonyms of give are take, withhold, and refuse. Use take to imply accepting or receiving something, withhold to mean refusing to give or grant something, and refuse to decline an offer or request. These antonyms can be used in negotiations, everyday conversations, and writing to create contrast and emphasize differences.