What is the antonym of “handmade”?
The antonyms of handmade are machine-made and mass-produced. The antonyms machine-made and mass-produced convey a different meaning than handmade. They imply that the product was made by a machine or in large quantities, rather than by hand.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Made by a machine, rather than by hand.
The shirt he bought was machine-made, and it lacked the unique details of a handmade shirt.
Produced in large quantities, often by machines.
The toy cars were mass-produced and looked identical to each other.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Machine-made refers specifically to products made by a machine, while mass-produced refers to products made in large quantities.
- 2Handmade products are unique and often have small imperfections, while machine-made and mass-produced products are identical and lack uniqueness.
Good things to know
- 1Shopping: Use these antonyms to describe products and make informed purchasing decisions.
- 2Crafting: Use these antonyms to describe the process of making things by hand versus using machines.
- 3Art: Use these antonyms to discuss the differences between art created by hand versus art created using machines.
The antonyms machine-made and mass-produced convey a different meaning than handmade. They imply that the product was made by a machine or in large quantities, rather than by hand. Use these words to describe products, crafting processes, and art created by hand versus using machines.