Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.
The nurse showed great compassion towards the terminally ill patient.
The ability to understand and share the feelings of another person.
She had a lot of empathy for her friend who was going through a tough time.
The quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.
Her kindness towards strangers was well-known in the community.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Compassion is a deep feeling of sympathy and sorrow for someone who is suffering, often accompanied by a desire to help.
- 2Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another person.
- 3Kindness is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate towards others.
Good things to know
- 1Express Sympathy: Use compassion to express deep sympathy and sorrow for someone who is suffering.
- 2Show Understanding: Use empathy to demonstrate your ability to understand and share the feelings of another person.
- 3Be Considerate: Use kindness to show friendliness, generosity, and consideration towards others.
The antonyms of hardheartedness are compassion, empathy, and kindness. These words convey a positive emotional state that is characterized by understanding, care, and concern for others. Use these words to express sympathy, show understanding, and be considerate towards others.