What is the antonym of “highlight”?
The antonyms of highlight are downplay, understate, and ignore. These words convey the opposite meaning of highlight, which is to emphasize or draw attention to something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something seem less important or significant than it really is.
The company tried to downplay the negative impact of the product recall on its sales.
To describe something as less important or serious than it really is.
She understated the difficulty of the task, making it seem easier than it actually was.
To pay no attention to something; to disregard or overlook something.
He chose to ignore the warning signs and ended up regretting his decision.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Downplay suggests making something seem less important than it really is.
- 2Understate implies describing something as less important or serious than it actually is.
- 3Ignore means paying no attention to something or disregarding it completely.
Good things to know
- 1Communication: Use these antonyms to express different degrees of emphasis or importance in conversations.
- 2Writing: Incorporate these words in writing to create contrast and highlight different perspectives.
- 3Media: Journalists and media professionals can use these words to report news stories with different angles and tones.
The antonyms of highlight are downplay, understate, and ignore. These words convey different degrees of emphasis or importance and can be used in various contexts such as communication, writing, and media.