What is the antonym of “hitting”?
The antonyms of hitting are missing and failing. The antonyms missing and failing convey a lack of success or accuracy in achieving a goal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Failing to hit, reach, or find something that was aimed for or expected.
The archer kept missing the target, no matter how many times he tried.
Not succeeding in achieving a goal or meeting expectations.
Despite his best efforts, he kept failing the driving test.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Missing refers to not hitting or reaching a target, while failing refers to not succeeding in achieving a goal.
- 2Missing is more specific to physical actions, while failing can be used in various contexts, including academic, professional, or personal goals.
Good things to know
- 1Sports: Use missing to describe unsuccessful attempts to hit or score a goal.
- 2Academics: Use failing to describe unsuccessful attempts to pass an exam or meet academic standards.
- 3Personal Goals: Use failing to describe unsuccessful attempts to achieve personal goals or aspirations.
The antonyms of hitting are missing and failing. Missing refers to not hitting or reaching a target, while failing refers to not succeeding in achieving a goal. Use these words in sports, academics, or personal contexts to describe unsuccessful attempts.