What is the antonym of “humiliation”?
The antonyms of humiliation are pride and honor. The antonyms pride and honor convey a positive or contented emotional state. It implies a sense of self-respect, dignity, and admiration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions.
She felt a sense of pride after completing her first marathon.
High respect; great esteem.
He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery in battle.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Pride is a positive emotion that comes from a sense of accomplishment, while humiliation is a negative emotion that comes from a sense of shame.
- 2Honor is a relational term that describes the respect and admiration given to someone, while humiliation is a personal feeling of embarrassment and shame.
Good things to know
- 1Express Self-Respect: Use pride to express a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
- 2Show Respect: Use honor to show respect and admiration for someone.
- 3Avoid Humiliation: Use pride and honor to avoid situations that may lead to humiliation.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Pride conveys a sense of accomplishment, while honor describes respect and admiration. Use these words to express self-respect, show respect for others, and avoid situations that may lead to humiliation.