What is the antonym of “illuminate”?
The antonyms of illuminate are darken and obscure. The antonyms darken and obscure convey a lack of light or clarity. It implies a state of darkness, dimness, or confusion.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make or become dark or darker in color or tone.
The sky began to darken as the sun set behind the mountains.
Not clear or easily understood; hidden or concealed.
The meaning of the poem was obscure and left many readers puzzled.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Darken is used to describe a reduction in light or brightness, while obscure is used to describe something that is unclear or hidden.
- 2Darken can be used both as a verb and an adjective, while obscure is only used as an adjective.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use darken and obscure to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Describe Weather: Use darken to describe the sky when it becomes cloudy or stormy.
- 3Explain Concepts: Use obscure to describe complex or abstract ideas that are difficult to understand.
The antonyms of illuminate are darken and obscure. Darken describes a reduction in light or brightness, while obscure describes something that is unclear or hidden. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, describe weather, and explain complex concepts.