What is the antonym of “illuminated”?
The antonyms of illuminated are darkened and obscured. The antonyms darkened and obscured convey a lack of light or visibility. They imply a state of darkness, shadow, or concealment.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking light; dim; obscure.
As the sun set, the sky darkened and the stars began to appear.
Hidden from view; concealed; not easily perceived or understood.
The dense fog obscured the view of the mountains and made driving dangerous.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Darkened refers to a lack of light or brightness, while obscured refers to something that is hidden or concealed from view.
- 2Darkened can be used to describe a physical space or object, while obscured is often used to describe abstract concepts or ideas.
- 3Darkened can be used in a positive or negative context, while obscured is usually used in a negative context.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Environments: Use darkened to describe a room or space that lacks light or brightness.
- 2Concealing Information: Use obscured to describe something that is hidden or concealed from view or understanding.
- 3Creating Atmosphere: Use both antonyms to create a mood or atmosphere in writing or storytelling.
The antonyms of illuminated are darkened and obscured. Darkened refers to a lack of light or brightness, while obscured refers to something that is hidden or concealed from view. Use these words to describe environments, conceal information, and create atmosphere in writing or storytelling.