What is the antonym of “imperial”?
The antonyms of imperial are humble and modest. The antonyms humble and modest convey a lack of arrogance or superiority. It implies a willingness to learn, accept criticism, and acknowledge one's limitations.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's importance.
Despite his success, he remained humble and never forgot his roots.
Having or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance, or achievements.
She was a modest person who never boasted about her accomplishments.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Humble implies a lack of arrogance or pride, while imperial suggests grandeur and superiority.
- 2Modest suggests a lack of showiness or extravagance, while imperial connotes opulence and luxury.
Good things to know
- 1Express Humility: Use humble and modest to express modesty and humility in conversations.
- 2Avoid Arrogance: Incorporate antonyms in communication to avoid sounding arrogant or superior.
- 3Encourage Learning: Encourage others to be humble and modest in their approach to learning and growth.