Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech.
The politician's civility towards his opponents earned him respect from both sides of the aisle.
Behavior that is respectful and considerate of others; showing good manners.
She always greets her neighbors with a smile and a wave, demonstrating her politeness and friendliness.
Polite behavior that shows respect and consideration for others.
The hotel staff's courtesy and helpfulness made the guests feel welcome and appreciated.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Civility is a formal term that describes polite and courteous behavior in formal settings.
- 2Politeness is a general term that describes respectful and considerate behavior in any setting.
- 3Courtesy is a more personal term that describes polite and respectful behavior towards individuals.
Good things to know
- 1Professional Settings: Use civility to maintain a respectful and professional tone in formal settings.
- 2Everyday Conversations: Incorporate politeness and courtesy in daily conversations to show respect and consideration for others.
- 3Customer Service: Utilize courtesy to provide excellent customer service and make customers feel valued and appreciated.
The antonyms of incivility are civility, politeness, and courtesy. These antonyms convey a positive and respectful attitude towards others. Use these words in professional settings to maintain a respectful and professional tone, in everyday conversations to show respect and consideration for others, and in customer service to provide excellent service and make customers feel valued.