What is the antonym of “indebt”?
The antonyms of indebt are discharge, free, and unburden. The antonyms discharge, free, and unburden convey a sense of release or liberation from a burden or obligation. It implies being free from debt, responsibility, or duty.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To release or relieve someone from a duty, responsibility, or debt.
After paying off the loan, the bank discharged him from his debt.
Not under the control or domination of another; able to act or do as one wishes.
He felt free after quitting his job and traveling around the world.
To relieve someone of a burden or responsibility.
She felt relieved after unburdening herself to her friend about her problems.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Discharge is used when referring to releasing someone from a duty, responsibility, or debt.
- 2Free is used when referring to being liberated from control or domination.
- 3Unburden is used when referring to relieving someone of a burden or responsibility.
Good things to know
- 1Financial Context: Use discharge to refer to the release from a debt or obligation.
- 2Personal Context: Use free to describe a sense of liberation or independence.
- 3Emotional Context: Use unburden to describe the feeling of relief after sharing one's problems with someone.