What is the antonym of “industrialize”?
The antonyms of industrialize are deindustrialize and decentralize. The antonym deindustrialize refers to the process of reducing industrial activity in an area, while decentralize means to distribute power or resources away from a central authority or location.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To reduce or eliminate industrial activity in an area.
The city's economy suffered when it began to deindustrialize and many factories closed down.
To distribute power or resources away from a central authority or location.
The company decided to decentralize its operations by opening regional offices in different parts of the country.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deindustrialize refers specifically to reducing or eliminating industrial activity in an area, while decentralize can refer to any type of distribution of power or resources.
- 2Deindustrialize is often used in the context of economic decline, while decentralize is often used in the context of organizational structure or government.
- 3Deindustrialize implies a negative outcome, while decentralize can have positive or negative connotations depending on the context.
Good things to know
- 1Economic Discussions: Use deindustrialize to describe the decline of industrial activity in an area.
- 2Organizational Discussions: Use decentralize to describe the distribution of power or resources within a company or government.
- 3Political Discussions: Use decentralize to discuss the distribution of power within a government or political system.