What is the antonym of “intemperancy”?
The antonyms of intemperancy are temperance and moderation. These words describe the opposite of excessive behavior, indicating a balanced and controlled approach to life.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The practice of self-restraint and moderation in one's actions, especially concerning alcohol or food.
He practiced temperance by limiting his alcohol intake to one drink per day.
The quality of being reasonable and avoiding extremes; the act of keeping within reasonable limits.
She believed in the importance of moderation in all aspects of life, including work, exercise, and leisure.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Temperance is a term often used in relation to alcohol or food consumption, while moderation can be applied to any aspect of life.
- 2Temperance implies a more deliberate and conscious effort to control one's behavior, while moderation suggests a more natural and instinctive approach.
- 3Temperance is often associated with religious or moral values, while moderation is a more secular concept.
Good things to know
- 1Health and Wellness: Use temperance and moderation to promote healthy habits and balanced lifestyles.
- 2Personal Development: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about self-improvement and goal-setting.
- 3Social Issues: Discuss the importance of temperance and moderation in addressing societal problems such as addiction, overconsumption, and environmental degradation.