What is the antonym of “intentional”?
The antonyms of intentional are unintentional, accidental, and inadvertent. These words describe actions or events that happen without purpose or planning.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not done on purpose; happening by chance or without intention.
She made an unintentional mistake in her report, but it didn't affect the overall outcome.
Happening by chance or without intention; not planned or deliberate.
He had an accidental fall while hiking in the mountains and broke his leg.
Not resulting from or achieved through deliberate planning; unintentional.
The company's decision to lay off employees was inadvertent and caused a lot of confusion.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unintentional implies that something happened without any planning or purpose.
- 2Accidental suggests that something happened by chance or without being intended.
- 3Inadvertent means that something was not planned or deliberate, but it may have been avoidable if more care was taken.
Good things to know
- 1Clarify Intentions: Use these antonyms to explain whether something was done on purpose or by accident.
- 2Express Regret: Incorporate these words to show remorse for unintended consequences.
- 3Avoid Misunderstandings: Utilize these antonyms to prevent confusion or misinterpretation of actions or events.
The antonyms of intentional describe actions or events that happen without purpose or planning. Unintentional implies no planning, accidental suggests chance, and inadvertent means not planned but avoidable. Use these words to clarify intentions, express regret, and avoid misunderstandings.